Carpet Care Tips
Three Steps for Proper Carpet Care
Carpet cleaning is just like exercise! If you get into a routine and keep it up, you will see great results and feel better for it. And understanding the right way to clean carpet will help you save time by doing it correctly the first time with products that do the job right from the start. Not only will Seal of Approval cleaning products help keep your carpet looking great, but they can also help meet the warranty requirements of the carpet manufacturer. Below are three simple steps to keeping your carpet clean and looking great:
- Vacuum at the right frequency with a CRI-approved vacuum.
- Clean spots and spills quickly with products that do not damage the carpet or cause it to resoil quicker.
- Professionally deep clean your carpets every 12 to 18 months to remove embedded dirt and grime.
Stop Dirt at the Door
Preventing dirt and grime from getting on the carpet in the first place is a great way to start keeping it clean. The following helpful hints can stop dirt in its tracks.
Outdoor and indoor mats or runners can reduce the amount of dirt that enters the house.
Take Off Your Shoes
You can save wear and tear on the carpet by asking everyone to take off their shoes before entering your home.
Change Your Air Filters
Change air filters in your heating and air-conditioning systems as recommended by the manufacturer’s directions. The more dust and particles removed by the filter, the less that fall on the carpet.
Tips for Pet Owners
Do you have a pet? About 70 million U.S. households do, and that’s a 35 percent increase from 1988, according to the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association. You can combat pet odors and stains in many ways:
- Vacuum carpet more frequently to capture pet hair and dander from your pet’s fur.
- Use CRI Seal of Approval cleaning products that are specifically designed for pet stains and odors.
- Clean up new messes promptly and then follow the steps for spot and stain removal outlined in the “Removing Spots and Stains.”
- Use small hand extractors for a quick cleanup of pet accidents but remember that these quick cleanups don’t take the place of periodic deep cleaning.
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months, or more frequently if necessary.
- Don’t use a steam cleaner when dealing with urine spots because the heat will set the stain and the smell. Extracting the spill with a wet-vacuum and rinsing with cool water will reduce the odor. If necessary, call in certified carpet cleaning firms that know how to remove pet stains and odor permanently.
- If you do not have a Seal of Approval certified cleaner handy, you can download CRI’s Spot Solver to learn how spots and spills can be cleaned with common household solutions, such as hot water with a little detergent, vinegar or ammonia.