A water leak can cause serious damage, especially if it goes too long before it’s noticed. Buddy’s team is available 24/7 so we can respond right away when there is a problem. However, there some things you can do prevent any further problems before we arrive.
Water Damage Do’s
- Eliminate the source of water
- Turn off circuit breakers to wet areas to prevent risk of electrical shock. Unplug and remove electrical devices located on wet floor coverings or other wet surfaces.
- Do remove and secure as many small furniture items as possible to minimize rust or stains and expedite restoration.
- Place aluminum foil or strong baggies under legs of wood furniture (especially antiques) to protect furniture and prevent the migrating of furniture stain into the carpet fibers.
- Do hang up draperies and pinup furniture skirts if possible to prevent contact with wet floor coverings, minimizing damage such as water marks, browning and dye transfer.
- Do remove books, shoes, paper goods, fabrics, potted plants or other items that may stain the carpet. Check under beds and in closets.
- Do remove and secure breakables, moisture sensitive or high valuable items.
- Do make plans for restoration crews to remove large furniture items from affected areas.
Water Damage Don’ts
- Don’t operate electrical equipment while standing on a wet surface.
- Don’t place newspaper on wet surfaces. Newspaper ink transfers easily to carpet.
- Don’t walk on wet surfaces any more than necessary in order to minimize safety hazards and to keep from spreading damage and possible contaminates.
- Don’t activate your heating or air conditioning system if it has been in direct contact with water or especially sewage. It may spread contamination.
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods to dry separately at room temperature.
- Don’t attempt to dry on your own. You run the risk of causing more damage to your home or business.
- Don’t delay! Call Buddy at 417.833.1732