Unfortunately, there is probably as much confusion in the carpet cleaning industry about carpet protectors as there is about cleaning. Uneducated, uninformed, and sometimes dishonest carpet cleaners cause a great deal of confusion by giving out false information or intentionally misrepresenting the product.
A nylon stain-resist carpet is made with two protective properties:
- Acid Dye Blocker – this is a clear dye that fills the extra dye sites in a fiber. This helps to keep “foreign” dyes (such as red dye in a beverage) from penetrating the carpet fiber.
- Fluorochemical – commonly known as 3M Scotchguard or DuPont Teflon. This treatment helps keep spillage from actually getting to the acid dye blocker, but its biggest job is to resist dry soil.
Making sure you have a sufficient amount of protector on your carpet will help keep the soil from bonding to the carpet, making it much easier for your vacuum to pick up. Once the soil bonds to the carpet, it acts like sandpaper on your traffic area. Once the traffic area yarns are broken down, there is no way to bring them back to their original state.
For longer carpet life and fewer permanent stains, be sure to have a professional carpet protector applied to your carpet.
When Buddy applies protectant to your whole carpet, you’ll receive a 12 month spot warranty and FREE bottle of spotter. Give our office a call to learn about how our protectant can keep your home!
4 Mistakes Other Cleaners Make In Applying Protector
- Not Using High Quality Protector: Discount protectors are not as effective and sometimes void the warranty of the carpet. Buddy’s carpet Care uses only the highest quality, recommended protectors.
- Not using a dedicated container. Using the same container for carpet protector as other cleaners can contaminate the carpet protector making it gummy and ineffective. Our vans have a dedicated container reserved only for carpet protector.
- Not applying the product properly. Some cleaners either under apply or over apply the protector. Under applying doesn’t allow for complete penetration on the carpet yarns. Over applying it causes the carpet to become overly stiff and crusty. Our technicians are diligently trained for proper application.
- Not grooming the carpet. For the best performance, the product should be groomed into the carpet for maximum penetration. This ensures contact with all surfaces of the carpet yarn and proper distribution and drying. Buddy’s Carpet Care thoroughly grooms the protector in the carpet pile.
Overtime, protectant can be removed from the carpet by:
1.Regular foot traffic. Over a period of 6 months to 2 years, depending on the traffic, a significant amount of protector can be removed from your traffic areas and need to be reapplied.
2. High alkaline cleaner. Uninformed and uneducated and sometimes dishonest carpet cleaners use harsh chemicals on the carpet that will strip its protection. If one of these rascals has been in your house, you may want to have the carpet re-protected.
Ask Buddy if you have any questions about your carpet or would like him to asses if it’s time to re-apply protectant today!